WPC - APF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Huge News for APF La. / 1 ply Div added!

3 posters

Go down

Huge News for APF La. / 1 ply Div added! Empty Huge News for APF La. / 1 ply Div added!

Post  Buddy McKee Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:11 pm

Garry Frank just announced that the APF will add a single ply division at the APF Louisiana on September 12th in Baton Rouge, La. at the Holiday Inn. The same location as the Masters Nationals was held. Great venue! I'm excited about this addition. I'm going to lift in it myself at this meet! I'll see everybody in Louisiana at this Landmark event!

Last edited by Buddy McKee on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)

Buddy McKee

Back to top Go down

Huge News for APF La. / 1 ply Div added! Empty Re: Huge News for APF La. / 1 ply Div added!

Post  Eric Stone Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:43 pm

Buddy--What is the purpose? Why continually add more divisions and water-down the competition? That is why I have been very reluctant to add a raw division to any of my meet.

Eric Stone

Back to top Go down

Huge News for APF La. / 1 ply Div added! Empty Re: Huge News for APF La. / 1 ply Div added!

Post  Buddy McKee Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:59 am

Eric Stone wrote:Buddy--What is the purpose? Why continually add more divisions and water-down the competition? That is why I have been very reluctant to add a raw division to any of my meet.

To my understanding it will be done on a trial basis to see if there's an interest before being looked at nationally and will only have an open division for it at the La.. The APF has always been about the lifters having choices in how to lift. Having multi-ply allowed lifters to use multi, single , raw or any combo of it. Mostly I have lifted in a single bench shirt, double squat suit, and single or raw to deadlift. That's just what has worked best for me. I think the great thing about adding the single ply division is that the sport now has rankings in multi, single, and raw. But to be ranked as single your fed has to offer a single ply div. For example, if I did a 1900 total all in single in an APF meet before now; it would be ranked as a multi-ply total. Further example: My 600 single ply bench last year at Masters Nationals would have ranked at the time at # 5 open, I believe; in single. But it had to be counted as multi-ply and didn't even make the top 50. Personally, I really like the chance to hit a single ply total and have it counted as a single ply ranked total and be able to do it in my home federation. That's how I take it anyway.

Buddy McKee

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Stone Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:55 pm

Buddy--I understand the reasoning, I just don't agree. I just think we should be, or should even try to be all things to all people. Just too many divisions, and no competition. That is why I have not run a separate raw division my meets. I am not opposed to raw lifting (or single ply for that matter), I would just rather see a separate meet for it.

Eric Stone

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Tamerius Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:33 am

Eric, I agree with you. The APF/AAPF has a certain niche in powerlifting...multi-ply, tested and untested. I'd be in favor of leaving it that way.

Steve Tamerius

Back to top Go down

Post  Buddy McKee Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:01 pm

Another possible good outcome of the major federations offering each type of lifting could very well be the eventual increase in competition at meets. Thus far the backyard feds have survived because they offer something each major fed didn't offer. If each type of lifting can be contested and ranked within the major, more legitimate feds; the little feds will have a hard time staying in business. As they go out of business the major feds will have more competitors again and there could eventually be more head to head comp because of it. I see it as a possible solution to de-fragmenting the sport; not adding to it. It may be a long term approach, but possibly the most likely approach to work. That's just my observation of what it could be. I'd like to see it supported for those reasons if nothing else. We need to look past the trees to see the forest while considering the worth of this.

Buddy McKee

Back to top Go down

Post  Buddy McKee Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:22 am

We're 5 1/2 weeks out to the Louisiana! I'm excited about seeing everyone at this meet! Should be a great one!

Buddy McKee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down